Yoga is more than just an exercise. It is a way of life. A 5000-year-old subtle science, it focuses on bringing harmony between the mind and the body. It is a combination of physical exercise, diet control, breathing techniques and concentration, which strengthens the body and relaxes the mind. This, in turn, improves immunity.
Here are 3 ways in which Yoga helps boost our immunity:
1 It reduces stress:
Stress is one of the leading causes of sickness. This is because stress reduces our immune system’s ability to fight off antigens, making us more susceptible to infections. Here are 2 Yogasanas that help reduce stress.
- Sasakasana: Also known as the rabbit pose, it is the perfect yoga posture for reducing stress. It supplies blood to the crown of the head, which helps in relieving stress. It also strengthens the spine, stretches the back and shoulders while stimulating the immune and endocrine systems.
- Shavasana: Also known as the corpse pose, it helps reducing anxiety and blood pressure. It’s also effective in treating Insomnia. This position requires you to completely relax your mind and body while focusing only on breathing.
2 It strengthens the respiratory health:
Breathing practices of Yoga, helps maintain the health of our respiratory system. Controlled breathing improves blood flow, lowers stress levels and increases the efficiency of our lungs.
Here are 2 Yogasanas, practicing which will help improve respiratory health.
- Nadishodhana Pranayama: Also known as alternate nostril breathing, it is a powerful breathing practice that helps strengthen the respiratory system while reducing stress and anxiety. It also purifies and balances the subtle energy channels, thereby ensuring a smooth flow of Prana (life force) through the body.
- Kapalabhati Pranayama: It involves forceful breathing, which strengthens the lungs and increases its capacity. Practising Kapalbhati regularly helps remove blockages from the heart and lungs. It also helps to clean frontal sinuses.
3 It ensures optimal functioning of all organs:
Practising Yogasana improves blood circulation. This ensures all the organs get enough blood flow for their optimal functioning. These are 2 Yoga postures which stimulate blood flow in the body.
- Trikonasana: Also known as the triangle pose, it helps stimulate and improve blood circulation throughout the body. It also reduces blood pressure, stress and anxiety.
- Ushtrasana: Also known as the camel pose, it increases blood circulation and stimulates the thyroid gland. It also helps to strengthen the spine and calm the nervous system.